Noonan Syndrome: A Case Report
The clinical findings and treatment options of cardiovascular abnormalities in a 20-year old male patient with Noonan syndrome are described with literature review. The classical clinical features of Noonan syndrome which were identified included short stature, abnormalities of ear and eye, low posterior hair line, cubitus valgus and webbed neck. The major cardiovascular abnormalities included pulmonary valvular stenosis and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. A comparison with Leopard syndrome is made and the overlapping features between the two rare genetic disorders are discussed.
2. Noonan JA. Associated non-cardiac malformations in children with congenital heart disease. J Pediatr 1963; 63: 468-470.
3. Burt J, Ramirez A, Limback J, Derrick E, Agha A, Varich L. Unusual Vascular Manifestations of Noonan Syndrome. J Cardiovasc Dis Res 2017; 8(3): 101-103.
4. Noonan J, O’Connor WI. Noonan syndrome: a clinical description emphasizing the cardiac findings. Pediatr Int 1996; 38(1): 76-83.
5. Colquitt JL, Noonan JA. Cardiac findings in Noonan Syndrome on Long‐term Follow‐up. Congenital Heart Dis 2014; 9(2): 104-05.
6. Allanson JE. Noonan syndrome. Am J Med Genet C Semin Med Genet 2007; 145: 274–279.
7. Fryer AE, Holt PJ, Hughes HE. The cardio‐facio‐cutaneous (CFC) syndrome and Noonan syndrome: Are they the same? Am J Med Gen Part A. 1991; 38(4): 548-551.
8. Gorlin RJ, Anderson RC, Blaw M. Multiple lentigenes syndrome: complex comprising multiple lentigenes, electrocardiographic conduction abnormalities, ocular hypertelorism, pulmonary stenosis, abnormalities of genitalia, retardation of growth, sensorineural deafness, and autosomal dominant hereditary pattern. Am J Dis Child 1969; 117(6): 652-662.
9. Watson GH. Pulmonary stenosis, café-au-lait spots, and dull intelligence. Arch Dis Child 1967; 42(223): 303.
10. Gelb BD, Tartaglia M. Noonan syndrome and related disorders: dysregulated RAS-mitogen activated protein kinase signal transduction. Hum Mol Genet 2006; 15(Suppl_2): R220-226.
11. Lee NB, Kelly L, Sharland M. Ocular manifestations of Noonan syndrome. Eye 1992; 6(3): 328-334.
12. Piplani S, Kumar P. Noonan syndrome: Case Report. Med J Armed Forces India 1998; 54(4): 363-364.
13. Halac I, Zimmerman D. Evaluating short stature in children. Pediatr Ann 2004; 33(3): 170-176.
14. Tartaglia M, Cordeddu V, Chang H, Shaw A, Kalidas K, Crosby A, et al. Paternal germline origin and sex-ratio distortion in transmission of PTPN11 mutations in Noonan syndrome. Am J Hum Genet 2004; 75(3):492-7.
15. Tartaglia M, Gelb BD. Noonan syndrome and related disorders: genetics and pathogenesis. Ann Rev Genomics Hum Genet. 2005; 6: 45-68.
16. Digilio M, Sarkozy A, de Zorzi A, Pacileo G, Limongelli G, Mingarelli R, et al. LEOPARD syndrome: Clinical diagnosis in the first year of life. American Journal of Medical Genetics Part A. 2006; 140A(7): 740-746.
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial 4.0 International License.
The articles and other materials published in the Annals of Health Research are protected by the Nigerian Copyright laws. The journal owns the copyright over every article, scientific and intellectual materials published in it. However, the journal grants all authors, users and researchers access to the materials published in the journal with the permission to copy, use and distribute the materials contained therein only for academic, scientific and non-commercial purposes.